In this new 2.0 era, technologies have changed significantly, so much so, that they can reach places that were previously impossible. Currently, millions of tutorials are generated on multiple topics and addressed to all types of audiences. Over time, it has become necessary to have tools that keep the actions we generate through the screen of a computer, for example, videotutorials require of editing processes such as cuts, narrations, adding textual content or exporting content to different formats, to offer a quality product.
For this there is a tool used by professionals to show the public how to do some process, solve problems or simply educate. We talk about Screencast-O-matic, which allows you to make recordings through your website or by downloading the application to the PC, you can use any of the two presentations of the application since they are exactly the same. This article highlights its main benefits.
When the recording topic of the tutorial is clear, we open the application to make the corresponding recording, in the menu bar and the "Record" button is located as the first option.
Then a frame is displayed, which sets the limit where everything you want to record should be found, it can be adjusted as much as needed. Indicates the type of recording:
- only the screen (1),
- webcam (2)
- or screen and webcam (3),
- the corresponding preferences are set: specific time limit (4),
- size (5),
- narration (6)
- or if it is necessary to record the sounds of the PC (7).
- You can access another preferences menu (8), where you will define what the pause key will be, how to count down, the control bar, recording controls or zoom.
To add some element of emphasis such as arrows, squares, ovals highlight some text, go to the main bar during the recording and place the "pencil" button. The recording will be paused and there begins the process of adding as many elements as it is considered, you can see in the following image.
As to zoom or approach, to some part of the canvas while recording, a double click is made in the specific area, then to resume the recording press the red button of the toolbar and continue the process.
At the end of the recording process, the video will be displayed in the main window of the application, in this window other editing processes are applied, where you can add multimedia elements, such as subtitles from file or voice recognition (you create the text of according to the narration), music tracks (offer some music files by default, or it is possible to add some file that you consider useful).
Regarding the editing of videos, this application is very complete, it offers a great amount of tools to make the video tutorial a visually pleasing and explanatory product. We will take any video on our PC to show what actions can be done from the editing menu. When loading the video the first screen with the capture of the video (1) and the timeline (2) is shown, in the left margin are the properties of the canvas (3), that is, the size that the video has, in this case it is 640 x 480.
Also, the properties of the audio (4) are observed, where there is the option to export the audio of the video or to import any other from the PC to embed it in the recording. If the video was recorded with the option of screen and webcam, you can activate the option to show the box with the image of the webcam (5), it also happens with the cursor, it can be shown or hidden in the video ( 5).
The recording tools that it has Screencast-O-Matic
- Cut: is used to cut video segments that are not relevant.
- Copy: this tool selects all those segments of the video that need to be replicated
- Hide: you can hide the image box of the webcam or the mouse cursor.
- Insert: is a function to add a new recording, a previous recording, insert a pause in the video, add an external video file or paste a recording segment that has been previously copied from another video.
- Narrate: through a microphone you can add audio file on the video.
- Superposition: with this tool you can place several elements in your video, from filters such as blur, images, video contours, arrows, highlight only a part of the video through a box, texts (choose the color, format and type of font), paste overlays (to place several arrows, one is made, and then copied and pasted as many times as necessary).
- Replace: replace the current video or change a specific frame of the video and place another one.
- Speed: speed up the recording or de-accelerate it.
- Transition: add a transition type from one image to another.
- Volume: adjust sections of the video with a higher or lower volume.
Produce final videos
At the end of the video, and in accordance with the edition, click on the "Done" button, which leads to the main screen of the application, there are two saving options:
- Save to the computer: choose the video format between MP4, AVI, FLC, GIF, place the file name and output path, specify the quality (low, high or normal) at the end click on publish.
- Screencast-O-Matic: this option displays the data of the account that is publishing the video, the title, description, password, personalized link (if required), quality, subtitles and where it will be visible. The visibility of the video extends in the most known web platforms, such as Vimeo, YouTube, Google Drive or Dropbox, if it is not appropriate to publish it, this option is deactivated.
There are many things that can be done with Screencast-O- matic, for free it is possible to record up to a maximum of 15 minutes, in MP4, AVI and FLV formats and upload the content to the aforementioned web platforms, however, for the users premium there are considerable advantages, such as having an online storage space and recovery in case of a failure, with this function you reserve space on the PC disk and you can access from the web page all the recordings in any computer .
Users premium they enjoy having access to editing tools, recording audio through microphones, recording only from webcam, drawing and zooming during recording.