Last year we signed the Pact for Gender Equality in Colombia, an agreement that symbolizes the co-responsibility of around XNUMX organizations with the implementation of actions that contribute to reducing inequalities. I was talking of what he thought he could perceive of Bentley with his criterion of I-model. This year, the smoke is clearer, and what is it, after the results of the integration of recent acquisitions like eB are seen, Exor And greater exploitation of the xml potential.
For many years the dgn has been a very exclusive and exclusive format of Bentley, although the V7 with the OpenDGN alliance could be released to other applications, the 8 version has still been an exclusive feature of large companies that have high strategic alliances. level, as is the case with AutoDesk, Oracle and ESRI. although until now only to read it or import it but not to edit it. Small companies and opensource initiatives have remained on the sidelines, and in the case of xml features embedded in the xfm up to now have been a very Bentley issue.
But such is seen in the trend of the last year, Bentley no longer wants to continue having an exclusive format and does not want to release all that it cost him to get to have the V8, which after more than 10 years seems to have been conceived at one time. Seeing the conceptual model of the I-model, it is clear that Bentley wants to transcend the interoperability that technologies now allow, without losing what they have always presumed: precision (Accurate), but not only want to be seen by engineers , if its format has basic utility information for other users (self-aware). Strong challenge if he manages to ride on the boat the big ones and open doors to the little ones who are already resentful by the apparent double discourse of the opendgn.
The Basic Smoke: Bentley wants your pdf
It is the preliminary conclusion that I can understand. He wants to popularize a format like the Acrobat pdf, like the AutoDesk dxf, like the png, like the txt !!!. But the Cranberry Is not to make a new version of dgn but to make many programs read dgn what can be useful.
Geofumadas: Do you plan to generate a new version of dgn with the I-model or in the 64 era?
Bentley: Definitely not, the V8 DNG is a wonderful one.
(Be Inspired 2010, ProjectWise round table)
For this reason, Bentley is looking for the I-model part of the dgn to have popularized usage characteristics. Now a dgn can be visualized and basic routines of zoom, pam, select, rotate, markup and data review. This from thin clients:
- Microsoft Outlook
- Web navigator
- Microsoft Sharepoint
- Windows Explorer (Windows 7)
Of course, it is understood that CAD / GIS / CAM programs and spatial databases will see not the dgn, but the xml geometry and attributes in the form they are accustomed to seeing it.
The average smoke, Bentley goes through the fifth dimension
This is not a new issue, since some time ago it has been looking to integrate the Automated Control (SCADA) to the spatial data. For this, all Bentley programs will have the capacity to generate I-models, which will include this level of integration to time flows, productivity and life cycle.
Bentley is also launching his ProjectWise Navigator. So far it's free for users of active licenses through SELECT, I think it will continue to be or will have a symbolic value so that non-Bentley users can see the power behind the I-model. Navigator is the successor of the primitive Bentley View and that later it mutated to Bentley Redline, but now with capacities much more than to see, to write down and to print:
- You can read formats dgn, dwg, dxf; and I assume it will be more. At this level, the PW Navigator remains at a basic level (3D) of what it did, although you can also see tabular data associated with the objects and perhaps basic rendering.
- Where the potential is in the two other levels, because if the dgn has been generated with I-model composer, it will be possible to see characteristics of specific disciplines at a transactional level (4D), being able to interact with the observations and storing data within a Controlled process during execution or operation (5D).
The astral smoke: Bentley wants to go to the fifth dimension.
- If it is a common DNA, only the basic properties of the elements will be seen, such as color, thickness, level, priority, fill, coordinates, etc. How will a dwg, dxf and geopdf be seen? With this we understand options to be able to see, render, turn off / on layers, zoom, rotate, print, etc.
- But if it was treated by Revit or Staad, characteristics of that discipline can be seen. As well as if he was treated with Inroads, Bentley Map, Architecture, etc. so that multidisciplinary processes can be carried out on the same DNG.
- With this Bentley is integrating a fourth dimension, as the characteristics of redline, approve, revise, digitally sign and store transactional history with multiple disciplines adds the fourth dimension called Time.
- But Bentley is not staying here and is adding a fifth dimension, which can be likened to economic value, productivity or life cycle within a dashboard. An object can have three dimensions and in time mutate (grow) or conserve natural age, but the fact of being productive (multiplying), being part of a flow or preserving a history of economic value is what is being considered fifth dimension. In a basic sense, integrate operation and maintenance through intelligent infrastructures.
- A basic example of this is the budget of a project, dynamically integrated with the calculation of quantities from the digital model. And then the control of the execution, acquisition of materials, management of advance estimates and subsequent control of operations. Type what it does NeoDATa But with integration to the objects (not basic 2D calculations).
- For this Bentley introduces Aset Wise, which adds to the two multidisciplinary products that we have been getting to know until now (Microstation and Project Wise). Bentley has announced an interaction with Microsoft Project with what we could assume linkage with budget solutions and project tracking. It is also reinforced with the generation of dynamic printing (dynamic interplot) that allows a map that was sent to print can interact with a conventional pen that has an integrated camera to automatically redline, observations or approvals.
What can we suppose to be coming
I would not expect less from Bentley, whose smokes are very astral; Sometimes so much that it seems that at some point its designers have had the motto that "Complicated is cool, we are all engineers."
But I can perceive in this smoke, a very useful landing act,
in the sense that Bentley does not want to remain a software that uses strange formats. He wants his DNA to know him as popular formats are known. Hopefully and maintain the simplicity that exchange standards require.
Then I think the idea is great, not to promote a new format. This we already assumed, (we barely remember the V7 when everything was 16 bits, and V8 when there were already 32 bits); It is good to know that we will continue to see the V8 for a long time. And in this, we only have to recognize Bentley's proposal, in its I-model, which is no more (and we want more) than the xml taking out of the characteristics that other programs occupy see, under the concept and standard of BIM
The best thing that is being proposed is that the documentation and the SDK for the creation of I-model from other applications will be available to third parties. This should open the door to popularize the topic, in application of standards such as CIS / 2, IFC, and ISO 15926. But maybe with this we finally see a software for costs and budgets compatible with Microstation; subject in which We have not seen much.
Finally I think it's good that Bentley does not get much multidisciplinary product. From what I see the applications of mapping, structures, waters, plants, geology and other disciplines will continue to fulfill their specific role on the basic products that now reach three:
- Microstation for the three basic dimensions at the client level.
- ProjectWise for transactional processing and inward integration at a server level.
- AssetWise for the transactional process out, connected or disconnected.