The 9 of January of 2009 will be carrying out the conference for educators of the Skidmore College. This is an institution located in New York, To get an idea of this center, these are its numbers:
- 1903 Year of foundation
- Students 2,400
- 44 represented States
- 32 Countries represented
- 9: 1 Ratio Student to Faculty
- 59% Women
- 41% Men
- 241 Full-time Teachers
- 16 Average Class Size
- 100 Student Clubs
- 19 Athletic Teams
- 43 Academic Departments
- 24,000 Alumni
This is the fourth time this conference is held, its objective is to promote knowledge and exchange of experiences through the involvement of technological institutions, educators and providers of geographic information services.
In past events, the exhibitors showed topics such as urban planning, operation of GPS systems, use of Google Earth in different disciplines and the use of GIS to visualize local history.
While Skidmore GIS Center for Interdisciplinary Research uses ArcGIS 9.2 as primary software for student use, this year is being included in the theme of the Manifold GIS conference.
A good sign that this software is having a good reception in the teaching community, much better if within the subject will be talking about the sustainability of the use of applications in universities.
The theme of this year.
This year, the topics of interest focus on:
- The use of GIS in the field statistical
- The use and sustainability Of the GIS on a university campus
- The use of GIS to visualize the development potential
- GIS and mercury in the Adirondack Park
- Manifold internet mapping
- Using the Model Builder ESRI To automate demographic analysis
- GIS systems based on website