ArchiCAD is a CAD platform that has a good time in the market, although initially it was a version for mac, it was up to 1987 that the 3.1 version was known.
If you remember, ArchiCAD 3.1 was already competing against AutoCAD 2.6 in 1987, just as DataCAD and DrawBase did, but it is their last years that catapulted it to be very popular. Let's see some of its advantages:
Free for students and teachers
This strategy is one of the most aggressive that this system has launched, because to download it only requires registration, then it sends you a provisional code that you must confirm per month. The year you must be renewing the key, but while you consider yourself instructor or student you can use it and get used to depend on it, if you do not mind that the generated projects have a Graphisoft logo on one corner.
Available for Mac and PC
In this field, ArchiCAD has remained very well accepted by Mac users, after AutoCAD Mac will leave in the year 1993 and Microstation the year 1995. ArchiCAD allows working with archiovs DWG, DXF, IFC and Sketchup and components can be developed under Geometric Description Language (GDL)
Adapted to standard trends
From the beginning ArchiCAD took a bit of advantage, being an object-oriented tool, not vectors. It is clear that it was for the Architecture and Construction market unlike AutoCAD, which was a general drawing tool. This led to a certain level of advantage, when AutoDesk acquired Architectural Desktop. ArchiCAD was already very mature. With the new trends ArciCAD has adapted to the concept BIM (Building Information Modeling), under the Virtual Building patent to stay in the international trends of the AEC software. The importance of this concept is that the platforms that develop specialized applications are easily adaptable to the field of architecture and engineering, so the issue of printing, generation of cuts, views and boundaries are not a complexity.
Interoperable with multiple platforms
- CYPE, ArchiCAD has connection with these specialized applications for the design of civil engineering in buildings (structures and installations), so that it can be accessed between both platforms through the IFC formats.
- Archimedes, This is an application oriented to the quantification of works and the integration of costs; ArchiCAD allows bidirectional connection with Archimedes.
- Google Earth, With ArchiCAD you can interact with Google Earth Warehouse, not only to upload the models and visualize them as 3D buildings but also to import data from Google Earth.
- Sketchup, This is the platform that Google acquired, and that is used for modeling 3D has the advantage of being extremely easy for initial sketching; in a few minutes you could work a complex idea with good taste. By means of an ArchiCAD plugin for Sketcup, you can get a job done in Sketchup and this is recognized under the smart building model.
- MaxonForm and AtlantisR, The integration of ArchiCAD to these technologies allows the modeling, editing and rendering of complex or non-traditional objects for traditional architectural designs; being "one click" gives you better results.
- IDER Y CALENER VYP, Through the format cte, you can make connection of ArchiCAD, assigning materials and properties to the building elements and thus gain advantage of these applications specialized in energy optimization.
Here you can download ArchiCAD
ArchiCAD will have an exhibition at the international architecture fair to be held at the Polytechnic School in February.