Geomatics journals have gradually evolved with the pace of a science whose definition depends a lot on technological progress and the fusion of disciplines around earth sciences. The current trends killed printed magazines of great history, reoriented the priority theme of other publications and closed the gap between what is a conventional magazine with a digital publication of blog features. The added value in knowledge management and synergy between actors became more important, so the role of conventional editorial moved to the coordination of international events, webinar service and publication of digital content.
Saying which are the main 40 is reckless, and more if they are going to be categorized. So this time I will use some criteria that justify a neutral measurement, clarifying that they are not the only publications on this subject but it is expected to be a starting point for reading lovers and companies that seek a diffusion juncture.
It is also important to mention that the "magazine" format is not necessarily what we have understood so far, it might be better to say "publications on geomatics" because today more than valuing the format we give more points to the usefulness of Internet spaces in its different modalities; forums, blogs, portals, newsletters, wikis ... together they complement each other.
Measurement using the Alexa ranking
I am using the measurement of Alexa, with the 15 date of August of 2013. This ranking is dynamic and changes over time depending on good or bad practices of the websites and adjustments of the Google algorithms.
In general, it is not equivalent to readers or visitors, but is a referent of the health of a site.
The lower the Alexa ranking, the better it is, so Facebook.com and Google.com are usually in the first two numbers. It is not so easy to be below the 100,000 top and although there is also ranking by country in this case I preferred to do it using the global one, indicating in the table the ranking for Spain as additional information.
Where did the list of geomatics magazines come from?
I have used a total of 40 posts, sorted to a minor 7,000,000 ranking. While that is a fatal position for a site, I have extended it there to measure the growth of some journals that deserve better luck.
- 21 of these magazines are in English. Most are listed in a List of geomatics magazines Which I published some time ago; Although at that time only mentioned 9 main and others were hardly listed, including some that are owned by companies dedicated to the manufacture of equipment or applications.
- 8 are from the Hispanic context, just those whose ranking was within the selected scale. All in Spanish, with the exception of Geofumadas which has its English version. Here the list is quite well known, with the variant that includes Cartografia.cl of which we had never mentioned.
- 7 are of Brazilian origin, considering that it is our complementary context. All in Portuguese, with the MundoGEO variant that has a partial version in English and Spanish. My apologies to our friends from Rio de Janeiro, but it is the list that I have been able to identify, surely there is another one around there with a better ranking in the queue.
- And finally I have included 4 from the 5 Denver area magazines that have recently joined in the so-called Location Media Alliance - LMA. They are also in English, but some of them with the alliance changed their name and domain, with which they have had to start their growth almost from scratch; for that matter, Sensors & Systems and Informed Infraestructures are what we previously knew as Vector1 and Vectormedia. Because of its ranking, it does not appear on the Spatial Apogeo list, which used to be called Imaging Notes. It will be interesting to see its growth, since about a year ago in a bar in Amsterdam we discussed with one of its ideologists how the ZatocaConnect / Z! Spaces model works ... and over time I have seen that something of the idea embodied in the LMA .
- The Brazilian ones are marked in green, in orange those of Spanish and celestial those of the Alliance.
The Top 10 list
The chart does not represent the first 4 journals because it loses its sense of visibility by the high ranking down the 100,000.
|1||Directionsmag.com||17,463||Ranking in Spain|
It surpasses Without surprise Directions Magazine that is a monster, with an enviable ranking of 17,000. After his failed attempt with his version in Spanish, he decided to concentrate on his privileged position and make an alliance with MundoGEO for the southern cone.
The first surprise is Mapsmaniac formerly known as Google Maps Mania, which in this year made the change of domain and although they do not have a miserly logo have achieved an optimization for seekers of respect in just a few months. Equally surprising is Coordinates, who have worked hard this year to be visible in the search engines and overcome many in position.
Notice that this is dynamic, you can see how mapsmaniac from May started with your new domain; As well as Coordinates.
The rest of the queue in English are GIS Cafe, Gis Lounge, GPS World and GIS User.
It is satisfying to see how MundoGeo positions itself in fifth place and the Spanish sector include The Franz Blog (9) and Geofumadas (10) within this top 10.
The list of 10 to 20
Here appear Cartesia (11), Gabriel Ortiz (15). Possibly the reasons why these two legendary sites appear in these positions is due to the lack of platform update, separation of sites in different data managers, or the simple fact of not having a dedication to causes for which Google penalizes each some time.
Solitaire appears the blog of Anderson Madeiros (Click Geo) in the position 14 and Gerson Beltrán in the 17.
The list of 21 to 30
Already on this list are two more sites of Portuguese language, MappingGIS that is growing after the dedication of these guys this year and, Asian Surveying & Maps which is the publication with the best ranking of the LMA. Sensors & Systems appears in the 30 position, considering it is a new name, we believe it will grow faster than ASM.
The list of 31 to position 40
And finally, in the queue appear the other two magazines of the LMA. Then I include Geospatial Media for the ranking it has, although this is the same company from India that produces Geo Intelligence, and that emptied the contents of Geo Development in this space.
Of the Hispanic context is Cartografia.cl (33), Orbemapa (39) and three Brazilian sites.
In conclusion, it is important to rescue the presence of the 8 Spanish language sites within a complex list of scalar. As far as possible, we will follow up on this publication to find lessons learned from this new experience in geomatics magazines.
How to improve Alexa ranking
It is not the goal of this article, but advice can serve anyone. In general, there are some tricks that work:
- Preferably, avoid using subdomains; It is not the same to have a site in blogspot or wordpress.com than a domain of its own.
- Also the sites must register them in Alexa and follow the steps to claim the authorship.
- Write regularly. The loss of time in seeing how the statistics go down does not help at all.
- Read about optimization techniques. Investing in SEO is a good option, but you have to learn as well as in college we learned more complicated things.
- Avoid techniques that may penalize the site; One of them is to abandon it.
- And finally: write us, we have tricks that have worked for us. editor (at) geofumadas.com
Sure there are other magazines not mentioned, some for having a ranking beyond the limit considered. If you find one ... Report it.